Monday, February 12, 2018

Update: Science Olympiad Thornton Invitationals

Hi all! Before I go on to the post, there are a few things one should know about Science Olympiad and how our invitationals worked.

  1. Everybody has 3-4 events with a partner(I had 4)
  2. An event is basically a topic/subject the pair of members have to study for
  3. Events can either be build(where we have to build something that does a certain task) or theory(where we have to study the topic so we can do a test the day of the competition
  4. In Thornton, there are 3 teams, Blue, Black, and Yellow(in order of ranking)
  5. Nandy and I are in team Black
  6. In any event, we can either get first, second, or third(only 3 teams)
Now that you kind of know the rules, I can tell you how it went for me and some of my teammates:
  • We(Nandy and I) got 1st in Fast Facts!
    • We had studied most of the categories they tested us on, but we(*Nandy*) brain farted on some of her categories. This led us to guess half of it because there was no penalty for guessing and my dad said to leave nothing blank.
    • The judges, including my dad, spent 90 minutes grading it because they had to search up each word to make sure if each of our guesses were factual or not. 😉
  • We(Nandy and I) got 2nd in Disease Detectives.
    • We think they made an error when they were grading ours because our answer was scientifically correct, but they marked it wrong
    • It would be really sad for us if they actually made an error because we would have gotten first place if we got one more question right. 😞
  • We(Arul and I) got 2nd place in Roller Coaster.
    • While we were calculating the final score, we realized that time doesn't matter nearly as much as the gap lengths
    • Lots of changes to do in 4 weekends. 
  • We got 3rd in Write It/Do It. 😒
    • We hadn't even used half the materials they had tested us on.
    • It was such a hard and confusing model!
Overall though, our team did pretty well. A few kids even got 1st in more than 1 event. The whole invitational was really good practice for the real thing and it was like a wake-up call for a lot of us. Bye all, I have to go back to studying...

No comments:

Post a Comment